I love DIY projects! This particular one was inspired by my lovely and talented assistant Nana Adjoa. The original idea for this baby shower guest book was to cut out the stars and paste them into a book for guests to sign. Now the question was where to get, not just any book, but one that would go with the blue themed shower AND induce the “awww” factor! Obviously our options were limited and this idea just popped into my head and they turned out so lovely!!! Try your hands at it! They’re easy to do once you follow these steps. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cardboard ( in your preferred color(s))
- A pair of scissors
- Glue gun/glue
- Ribbon (preferably 5-8mm wide)
- Pencil or pen
- Ruler (or stencil)
1. Trace or draw out the star on the cardboard and cut it out with the scissors.. You can choose another shape if you please. As long as it makes you happy :).
2. Cut out about 2.5 inches of the ribbon and glue its two edges together to form a loop. This is what is used to hang the stars.
3. Glue the edge of the loop to one tip of the star using the glue gun
4. Cut off about 5 inches of ribbon and make a bow tie with it. If you’re not sure how to go about it, here’s a pretty simple video showing how it can be done.
5. Finally, glue the middle of the bow tie to the end of the loop on the star to finish up your star and voila! You’re done!
What we did for the baby shower was hang the stars up before guests arrived. Each guest got to write messages for baby, mummy-to-be and/or daddy-to-be on a star and hang it back up so it was on display throughout the event. At the end of the shower, all the stars were collected and stringed together through the loops with a ribbon and presented to mummy-to-be! What a great keepsake!
If you want a more polished look (or your hands just can’t seem to get it right. :D), you can have professional card makers such as Talata Celebrations or Goddy Creative Barn have them made. BTW, they make some amazing wedding stationery as well!
If you would like to use this guest book idea for a wedding, you can leave a star(or which ever shape you choose) at each guests seat and provide a customized pen for them to write with, which can double as a wedding favour! Score!